If you’re a fan of classic Hollywood movies, you might be familiar with the 1975 film Shampoo. This satirical comedy-drama was directed by Hal Ashby and starred a talented cast including Warren Beatty, Julie Christie, Goldie Hawn, and Lee Grant. However, one question that often comes up is – who was the male star in the movie Shampoo?
The answer to this question is Warren Beatty. Beatty not only starred in the lead role of George Roundy but also produced and co-wrote the screenplay for the movie. He was already an established actor in Hollywood at the time and had previously starred in films such as Bonnie and Clyde, Splendor in the Grass, and McCabe & Mrs. Miller.
Shampoo is set in 1968 Los Angeles during the presidential election night. The story follows George Roundy, a successful hairdresser who sleeps with his clients while trying to open his own salon. Beatty’s performance as Roundy was praised by critics for his portrayal of a charming yet flawed character.
The movie also tackled themes of politics, sexual liberation, and social class during the late 1960s. Julie Christie played Jackie Shawn, George’s former girlfriend who is now seeing Lester Karpf (played by Jack Warden), a wealthy businessman who supports Richard Nixon’s campaign for presidency.
Goldie Hawn played Jillian Hollander, one of George’s clients whom he has an affair with. Lee Grant played Felicia Karpf, Lester’s wife who suspects her husband is having an affair with Jackie.
Overall, Shampoo received positive reviews from critics upon its release and was nominated for four Academy Awards including Best Actor for Warren Beatty. It remains a classic Hollywood movie that showcases some of the industry’s most talented actors at their best.
Warren Beatty was the male star in the 1975 movie Shampoo. His performance as George Roundy was praised by critics and helped solidify his status as a leading Hollywood actor.
The movie tackled important themes of the late 1960s and remains a classic example of the era’s satirical comedy-drama genre. If you haven’t seen Shampoo yet, it’s definitely worth a watch for any classic movie fan.
- Warren Beatty as George Roundy
- Julie Christie as Jackie Shawn
- Goldie Hawn as Jillian Hollander
- Lee Grant as Felicia Karpf
- Jack Warden as Lester Karpf
Awards and Nominations
- Nominated for Best Actor in Leading Role – Warren Beatty (Academy Awards)
- Nominated for Best Actress in Supporting Role – Lee Grant (Academy Awards)
- Nominated for Best Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen – Robert Towne and Warren Beatty (Academy Awards)
- Nominated for Best Art Direction-Set Decoration – Richard Sylbert, W. Stewart Campbell, and George Gaines (Academy Awards)