Are you a fan of the Star Trek franchise? If so, you may have heard of the iconic film that features whales – but which Star Trek movie has whales? In this article, we will explore the answer to this question and delve into some interesting facts about the film.
Which Star Trek Movie Has Whales?
The Star Trek movie that features whales is none other than Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. This movie was released in 1986 and is also known as “The One with the Whales” among fans.
In this film, the crew of the USS Enterprise travels back in time to San Francisco in the 20th century to retrieve two humpback whales. The whales are needed to communicate with an alien probe that is threatening Earth in the 23rd century. The movie’s plot revolves around the crew’s mission to save Earth by bringing back these majestic creatures from extinction.
Interesting Facts About Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
- The film was directed by Leonard Nimoy, who also starred as Spock.
- The cast of Star Trek IV includes William Shatner as Captain James T. Kirk, DeForest Kelley as Dr. Leonard McCoy, and George Takei as Hikaru Sulu.
- The movie was a critical and commercial success, grossing over $133 million worldwide.
- Star Trek IV won an Academy Award for Best Original Score by composer Leonard Rosenman.
- The film’s environmental message about saving whales from extinction resonated with audiences and helped raise awareness about conservation efforts.
How Were The Whales Created For The Movie?
Creating life-like humpback whales for a sci-fi film was no easy feat. To bring them to the big screen, the filmmakers used a combination of techniques.
First, they built a life-size model of a humpback whale that was used in several scenes. The model was made from fiberglass and measured around 50 feet long. It was so large that it had to be transported in pieces to the movie set.
In addition to the model, the filmmakers also used animatronic whales for close-up shots. These animatronics were designed and built by special effects studio Industrial Light & Magic (ILM).
Lastly, real humpback whale songs were recorded and incorporated into the film’s soundtrack to add authenticity to the scenes featuring the whales.
In conclusion, if you’re wondering which Star Trek movie has whales, it’s none other than Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. This movie is not only entertaining but also carries an important message about conservation efforts and environmentalism. If you haven’t watched it yet, give it a try – you won’t be disappointed!