Star Trek is a science-fiction franchise that has been around for over half a century. It has spawned numerous TV series, books, comics, and movies. The Star Trek movie franchise started in 1979 with the release of “Star Trek: The Motion Picture.”
Since then, twelve more movies have been made. But which one of them has been the most successful at the box office? Let’s find out!
The Highest Grossing Star Trek Movie
The highest-grossing Star Trek movie of all time is “Star Trek Beyond,” which was released in 2016. The movie grossed over $343 million worldwide. It was directed by Justin Lin and starred Chris Pine as Captain James T. Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, and Karl Urban as Dr. Leonard McCoy.
What Is “Star Trek Beyond” About?
In “Star Trek Beyond,” the crew of the USS Enterprise is attacked by a powerful alien race called the Krall. The Enterprise is destroyed and the crew is stranded on a remote planet without any means of communication or transport. They must work together to stop Krall from unleashing a deadly weapon that could destroy the entire universe.
Why Did “Star Trek Beyond” Do So Well?
There are several reasons why “Star Trek Beyond” did so well at the box office:
- The Cast: Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, and Anton Yelchin all reprised their roles from previous Star Trek movies.
- The Director: Justin Lin was known for directing several successful Fast & Furious movies.
- The Marketing: The trailer for “Star Trek Beyond” was well-received by fans and generated a lot of buzz online.
- The Timing: “Star Trek Beyond” was released in the summer of 2016, a time when audiences were hungry for big-budget action movies.
Other Successful Star Trek Movies
While “Star Trek Beyond” is the highest-grossing Star Trek movie, there have been other successful movies in the franchise:
- Star Trek (2009): This movie rebooted the franchise with a new cast playing younger versions of the original characters. It grossed over $385 million worldwide.
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979): This was the first Star Trek movie and grossed over $139 million worldwide.
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986): This movie saw the crew of the Enterprise travel back in time to save humpback whales from extinction. It grossed over $133 million worldwide.
“Star Trek Beyond” is the highest-grossing Star Trek movie of all time, grossing over $343 million worldwide. The cast, director, marketing, and timing all contributed to its success.
However, there have been other successful movies in the franchise such as “Star Trek (2009),” “Star Trek: The Motion Picture,” and “Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.” Regardless of which one is your favorite, it’s clear that Star Trek has been a popular and enduring franchise for over 50 years.