If you’re a fan of the Star Trek franchise, you may be wondering if there will be a third installment in the recent reboot series. Well, the answer is yes – there is indeed a Star Trek 3 movie in the works! Here’s everything we know so far:
First off, let’s cover the basics. The film is officially titled “Star Trek Beyond”, and it will be directed by Justin Lin (known for his work on the Fast and Furious franchise).
It will star many of the same actors as the previous two films, including Chris Pine as Captain Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, and Zoe Saldana as Uhura. The script was written by Simon Pegg (who also plays Scotty in the films) along with Doug Jung.
So what can we expect from “Star Trek Beyond”? Plot details are still somewhat scarce at this point, but we do know that it will involve the crew of the Enterprise being stranded on an unknown planet without their ship. They’ll have to band together and find a way to survive while also facing off against a new villain played by Idris Elba.
The Release Date
“Star Trek Beyond” was originally slated for release in July 2016, which would have coincided with the 50th anniversary of the original Star Trek series. However, in December 2015 it was announced that the release date had been pushed back to July 22nd, 2016.
The first trailer for “Star Trek Beyond” was released in December 2015, and it gives us a glimpse at some of the action-packed scenes we can expect from the film. We see Kirk struggling with his role as captain, Spock facing his own mortality after sustaining injuries, and plenty of explosions and fight scenes.
The Future of the Franchise
While “Star Trek Beyond” is still in production, there are already plans for a fourth film in the rebooted series. Chris Hemsworth, who played Kirk’s father in the opening scene of the first film, has been confirmed to return for the fourth installment. It’s unclear at this point what direction the franchise will take beyond that, but fans can certainly look forward to more adventures with their favorite Starfleet crew.
- In conclusion: Yes, there is a Star Trek 3 movie – “Star Trek Beyond” – coming out in July 2016.
- The basics: It will be directed by Justin Lin and star many of the same actors as the previous two films.
- The plot: The crew of the Enterprise will be stranded on an unknown planet without their ship and face off against a new villain played by Idris Elba.
- The release date: July 22nd, 2016 (originally slated for July 2016).
- The trailer: Released in December 2015 and features plenty of action-packed scenes.
- The future of the franchise: Plans for a fourth film are already underway with Chris Hemsworth set to return as Kirk’s father.
So mark your calendars and get ready for another thrilling adventure with Captain Kirk and his crew!