If you’re an action camera enthusiast, you may have come across fisheye distortion in your videos. Fisheye distortion is the result of the wide-angle lens used in most action cameras, which creates a bulging effect. While this can be desirable in some cases, it can also be a distraction and take away from the overall quality of your footage.
Fortunately, there are several ways to remove fisheye distortion from your action camera videos. In this tutorial, we’ll go over some of the most effective methods.
Method 1: Use Video Editing Software
One of the easiest ways to remove fisheye distortion is by using video editing software. Most video editing programs have a feature that allows you to correct lens distortion. Here’s how you can do it:
- Import your video into your video editing program.
- Select the clip that has fisheye distortion.
- Look for a “Lens Correction” or “Distortion Correction” tool in your program.
- Adjust the settings until the distortion is removed.
- Export your corrected video.
Popular Video Editing Software that can be used:
- Adobe Premiere Pro: This software is widely used by professionals and offers advanced options for correcting lens distortion.
- iMovie: This software is free and comes pre-installed on Mac computers. It has basic tools for correcting lens distortion.
- DaVinci Resolve: This software is free and offers advanced options for correcting lens distortion. It’s also available on Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
Method 2: Use Third-Party Plugins
If your video editing program doesn’t have a lens correction tool, you can use third-party plugins. These are software add-ons that can be installed into your video editing program and provide additional features. Here are some popular plugins for removing fisheye distortion:
- ProDRENALIN: This plugin is available for both Windows and Mac and offers advanced options for correcting fisheye distortion.
- GoPro FX Reframe: This plugin is specifically designed for GoPro cameras and offers advanced options for correcting fisheye distortion.
- Boris FX: This plugin is available for both Windows and Mac and offers basic tools for correcting lens distortion.
Method 3: Use Online Tools
If you don’t want to install any software on your computer, you can use online tools to remove fisheye distortion. Here are some popular online tools:
- VideoProc: This tool allows you to upload your video and correct fisheye distortion online. It’s available for both Windows and Mac.
- Kolor Autopano Video Pro: This tool allows you to upload your video and correct fisheye distortion online.
Fisheye distortion can be a distraction in action camera videos, but it’s easy to remove using the methods we’ve discussed. Whether you choose to use video editing software, third-party plugins, or online tools, there’s an option that will work best for you. With a little bit of effort, you can produce high-quality videos without any distracting fisheye distortion.