If you own a MacBook Pro, you have access to a built-in video camera that can be incredibly useful for video chatting, taking photos or recording videos. In this tutorial, we’ll explore how to use the video camera on your MacBook Pro.
Checking if Your MacBook Pro Has a Video Camera
Before we dive into using the video camera on your MacBook Pro, let’s make sure it has one. Most newer MacBook Pros come with a FaceTime HD camera built in. To check if your device has one, follow these steps:
- Click on the Apple icon in the top left corner of your screen.
- Select “About This Mac” from the dropdown menu.
- Select “System Report” from the new window that pops up.
- Scroll down until you see “Camera.”
If your device has a FaceTime HD camera listed under “Camera,” then you’re good to go!
Accessing and Using Your Video Camera
Now that we’ve confirmed your device has a video camera, let’s explore how to access it and use it.
To open the Camera app:
- Click on the Launchpad icon in your dock (the spaceship-looking icon).
- Type “Camera” into the search bar at the top of the screen or look for it in the Utilities folder.
- Click on “Camera” to open it up.
Once you have opened up the Camera app, you should see yourself onscreen! You can adjust settings such as brightness and contrast by clicking on the icons in the bottom right-hand corner.
To take a photo:
- Click on the shutter button located at the bottom center of the screen or hit the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
- Your photo will be saved in your Photos app.
To record a video:
- Click on the red record button located at the bottom center of the screen or hit “Shift-Command-5” on your keyboard to open up a recording menu with more options.
- When you’re finished, click on the stop button or hit “Command-period.”
- Your video will be saved in your Movies folder.
Adjusting Camera Settings
If you’d like to change some settings for your camera, such as resolution or frame rate, follow these steps:
- Open up the Camera app.
- Click on “Camera” in the top left-hand corner of your screen.
- Select “Preferences.”
- You can now adjust settings such as resolution, frame rate, and more!
Now that you know how to access and use your MacBook Pro’s built-in video camera, you can enjoy taking photos and recording videos with ease. Don’t forget to check out all of the different settings you can adjust too!